SOPHOS Anti-Virus Instructions
– You may use an Anti-Virus of your choice, or download one of the two free solutions that work with our network registration system: Microsoft Security Essentials (Microsoft Windows) | Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac Home Edition (Mac OS)
Faculty & Staff
- The College has updated to the most recent version of Sophos Security and Control (10.0). Our campus license also allows employees to install Sophos for personal use.
MAC users please click here.
1) Before installing Sophos be sure to remove any other anti-virus software
(McAfee or an older version of Sophos for example) using add/remove programs in the control panel. Failure to do this may render your computer
unusable. Once any other anti-virus software is removed follow these instructions
to install Sophos:
2) Reread step 1. Download Sophos Anti-Virus Software.
You will be prompted for your Oneonta username/password to download the
installer. Once the file is downloaded open it.
3) Click Install to begin the installation
4) Once the install has completed extracting the installation files,click next and agree to the sophos license, click next, you should see the following screen: input the information as on the screenshot with your username and password
5) Click next and the installer will continue installing:
After the installer has finished, you should have a blue Sophos shield
located in the taskbar (near your clock) see image below.You have Successfully installed Sophos Endpoint.
Trouble Shooting updating:
Right-click on the shield and select Open Sophos Endpoint...
Select Configure menu, then Updating:
And enter your Oneonta (email) username and password into the Primary Server details, and make sure to enter https://sophos.oneonta.edu/sophoswinweb as the server address, then click OK.
Side note: If you had the old installation of sophos version 9, you can leave the address https://sophos.oneonta.edu/sophos9web and make sure your username and passwords are current.
To update, Right-click on the shield and select Update now:
If you do not have a shield please use Add/Remove programs to remove any anti-virus software, including all Sophos software, and run the installer again.
If you have any problems with this process please contact the Helpdesk.